TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The holidays are a good time to travel safe either via a driving service or transit. Here are a couple options during New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Lyft is committing $20,000 to support the efforts of the Southern Arizona DUI Task Force and as part of its Ride Smart campaign to encourage passengers to choose a reliable and smart ride home. Through Jan. 2, Lyft is offering new users $5 off four rides with the code PIMASAFE and existing users 10 percent off two rides with the code PIMASAFE18.
"This holiday season, we are proud to work with the Southern Arizona DUI Task Force to remind passengers to plan ahead for a reliable and affordable ride option with Lyft," said Drena Kusari, Lyft Southwest region General Manager, in a recent news release.
Tucsonans can count on Sun Link to be the designated driver and provide a safe ride while they ring in the New Year at venues along the streetcar line. Sun Link will extend service hours on Monday, Dec. 31 until 2 a.m. for those celebrating within the districts, including Main Gate Square, Fourth Avenue, Downtown Tucson, and Mercado District.
Streetcar service will run on a Sunday schedule on New Year’s Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. with service every 20 minutes. Regular Sun Link service hours will resume on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
On New Year’s Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1, transit service will be as follows:
- Sun Tran Routes 1 through 99 and the Sun Link streetcar will run on a Sunday schedule.
- Sun Express Routes 101X-204X will not be in operation.
- Sun Shuttle fixed-route service and the Sahuarita/Green Valley Sun Shuttle Dial-a-Ride will not be in operation.
- Sun Shuttle ADA Dial-a-Ride service provided by Discount Cab and Oro Valley Sun Shuttle Dial-a-Ride will offer service, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., for Americans with Disabilities Act-qualified passengers only.
- Sun Van service and hours of operation will mirror the service provided by Sun Tran. Sun Van’s Reservation Center will be open 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on New Year’s Day.
The Customer Service Center will be closed New Year’s Day, and will return to regular weekday hours from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
Special Services Office, located at 35 W. Alameda, will be closed on New Year’s Day, and will reopen to regular hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
Sun Tran’s Administrative Office, located at 3920 N. Sun Tran Blvd., will be closed on New Year’s Day, and will reopen for business on Wednesday, Jan. 2, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All transit services will resume regular service on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
For specific route times and bus information, passengers are advised to consult Sun Tran’s Route Booklets, visit www.suntran.com, or call Sun Tran’s Customer Service Center at (520) 792-9222 (for persons with hearing and speech impairments, call TDD: 520-628-1565).