TRAFFIC: Where to watch for road work

TRAFFIC: Where to watch for road work
Road closed sign (Source: KOLD News 13)

Last updated Friday, Jan. 17

Tangerine Road between I-10 and Twin Peaks Road; Jan. 20-24

Maintenance crews will perform crack sealing at night on Tangerine Road from I-10 to Twin Peaks Road. Traffic will be restricted to a single lane with flaggers on site between the hours of 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. from Jan. 20 to Jan. 24.

La Cholla Boulevard between Lambert Lane, Overton Road; Jan. 27- Apr. 22

La Cholla Boulevard will be closed between Lambert Lane and W. Overton Road. Local access to homes, churches and other facilities on La Cholla Boulevard will be maintained throughout the closure. La Cañada Drive has been designated as the detour route.

The La Cholla Boulevard Phase II Improvements are on schedule with substantial completion anticipated at the end of September. This closure accelerates substantial completion to mid-August.

Drivers are encouraged to use the detour route onto La Cañada Drive and allow extra time for their commute. The town of Oro Valley has a stormwater project on the shoulder of Lambert Lane to the west of La Cholla Boulevard.

For safety purposes, pedestrians and bicyclists are asked to avoid the closed section of road and follow the detour routes.

Click here for a video featuring Public Works Director Paul Keesler explaining this closure.

La Cholla Boulevard Phase II – Overton Road to Tangerine Road information

Construction of the Phase II La Cholla Boulevard improvements, from Overton Road to Tangerine Road, began in January 2019. Hunter Contracting Co. is the contractor. The northern 80 percent of the roadway is located in the Town of Oro Valley with the remaining 20% being located in unincorporated Pima County. The project improvements, managed by the Town of Oro Valley, will reduce congestion, improve safety and provide additional capacity for future traffic demands.

Improvements in this phase will include:

· Widening to four lanes

· A landscaped median

· Turn lanes and traffic signals

· Bicycle lanes, multi-use paths and ADA facilities

· Drainage improvements

· Wildlife crossings

· Retaining walls

For more information, visit the project website at

Speedway and Richey Avenue; Until February

Construction of a HAWK pedestrian crossing will result in lane restrictions and delays on Speedway Boulevard at Richey Avenue. Work will begin Jan. 6 and is scheduled to be completed in February. Crews will be working Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on Speedway. There will be no lane restrictions on Richey.

I-10, Ruthrauff Road interchange; January to late 2021

A major reconstruction project to improve traffic operations at the Interstate 10/Ruthrauff Road traffic interchange will affect traffic in the area until late 2021.

Ruthrauff Road/El Camino del Cerro will be closed to all traffic at I-10.

Anticipated project timeline

  • Jan. 11, 2020 - Construction begins
  • Winter/Spring 2020 - Interchange closure begins
  • Late Summer 2021 - Ruthrauff Road/El Camino del Cerro reopens over I-10 (the interchange/ramps will not be open)
  • Late 2021 - Interchange reopens to traffic

During the interchange closure, motorists will need to use alternate routes to access I-10.

ADOT will maintain access to businesses throughout the project. The Chuck Huckelberry Loop will remain open throughout the project.

Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. To receive project updates and traffic alerts via email, subscribe here.

For alternate routes, project information, and documents click here.

Scenic Drive south of Silverbell Road

Residents of N. Scenic Drive between the addresses 9011 and 8975 will have to contend with a construction zone beginning on Thursday, June 20. No estimate was given for how long the project would last.

Road closed signs will mark the construction zone, which will be closed to the public and should never be entered.

Access to 9011 N. Scenic Drive and any residences north will need to use Twin Peaks/Silverbell Road to the north. Access to 8975 N. Scenic Drive and any residence south will need to use Pima Farms Road to the south.

For Residents of Scenic Drive: A sign will be placed at each driveway along Scenic Drive with an arrow showing the direction of ingress/egress for that day. Crews will make every effort to keep this direction the same throughout the day.

If garbage cans are within the construction zone, they will be moved outside of the zone to allow for pickup. Crews will help with mail delivery access if mailboxes are within the construction zone.

Copyright 2019 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.