Below is a list of traffic projects around southern Arizona.
The list was last updated Wednesday, Feb. 19.
The closure of the interchange at Interstate 10 and Ruthrauff Road will begin the night of Feb. 14. The work to fully close the interchange will take two nights.
The following traffic restrictions will be in place by the morning of Feb. 16:
- Ruthrauff Road and El Camino del Cerro closed between Highway Drive/Davis Avenue and the business entrances west of I-10.
- All ramps between I-10 and Ruthrauff Road/El Camino del Cerro will close, except for the westbound I-10 off-ramp, which will remain open to provide access to westbound I-10 frontage road businesses.
- The eastbound frontage road will be converted into a two-way road south of Sunset Road. There will be no access to El Camino del Cerro from the frontage road.
- The eastbound frontage road will be converted to a two-way road northwest of Commerce Drive. There will be no access to El Camino del Cerro from the frontage road.
- The westbound frontage road will close northwest of Prince Road.
The closure, part of a major reconstruction project to improve traffic operations at the interchange, will remain until late 2021.
I-10 traffic will be shifted to various configurations throughout the project.
Ruthrauff Road/El Camino del Cerro will be closed to all traffic at I-10.
Anticipated project timeline
- Jan. 11, 2020 - Construction begins
- Winter/Spring 2020 - Interchange closure begins
- Late Summer 2021 - Ruthrauff Road/El Camino del Cerro reopens over I-10 (the interchange/ramps will not be open)
- Late 2021 - Interchange reopens to traffic
ADOT will maintain access to businesses throughout the project. The Chuck Huckelberry Loop will remain open throughout the project.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. To receive project updates and traffic alerts via email, subscribe here.
For alternate routes, project information, and documents click here.
Tuesday-Friday, March 3-6: The contractor will be milling and repaving Mona Lisa Road from Magee Road to Orange Grove Road. Work will consist of milling, repaving and striping. Hours of operation will be from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department and its contractors will conduct sewer repairs at various locations between Feb.17-21, including those listed below.
North Oracle Road
- 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Feb. 17-18: Bypass set-up activities in the 15000 block of North Oracle.
- 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Feb. 19-21: Sewer pipelining between on Oracle between East Thistle and East Hawser Streets.
East Poincianca Place
- 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Feb. 19-20: Manhole rehabilitation in the 7300 block of East Poincianca
East Escalante Road
- 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Feb. 20-21: Manhole rehabilitation, watch for traffic control devices on curb in the 7300 block of East Escalante.
Via del Mar
- 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Feb. 21: Manhole rehabilitation in the 10000 block of Via del Mar. This work will require a right lane closure on southbound Houghton Road.
On Monday, Feb. 17, KE&G Construction is scheduled to begin work to install ADA compliant ramps and new sidewalk along the east side of Wilmot Road, just north of Broadway to Carondelet Drive.
Crews will adjust traffic signals at the intersection and will restrict unprotected left turns. Once the traffic signals have been adjusted, left turns will only be allowed when the left-turn arrow is green.
During the traffic signal adjustment there will be two days of lane restrictions (Feb. 19 and 20) on La Cañada Drive at the intersection between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Traffic on Naranja Drive will not be affected.
Tuesday, Feb. 18 Personnel will set up off of the roadway on northwest and southeast corners of the intersection and prepare for signal adjustment. Traffic flow should not be affected.
Wednesday, Feb. 19 Personnel will close select southbound and northbound lanes. See map below.
1) Southbound traffic – The left lane will be closed just north of the intersection and will remain closed a short distance south beyond the intersection. The left-turn lane (to Naranja Drive) and right lane will remain open to traffic.
2) Northbound traffic – The left-turn lane (to Naranja Drive) will be closed. The left lane will become the left-turn lane (look for signage). The left lane, just north of the intersection will be closed. Only the right lane will be open through the intersection.
Thursday, Feb. 20 Southbound traffic will not be affected, and crews will close select northbound lanes.
1) Northbound traffic – The left lane will be closed just south of the intersection and will remain closed a short distance north beyond the intersection. The left-turn lane (to Naranja Drive) and right lane will remain open to traffic. On the north side of the intersection, the bike lane will also be closed for approximately 250 feet.
For additional information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Beginning on Wednesday, Feb. 19 through March 3, Pima County Department of Transportation and contractor, Markham Contracting Company Inc., will be performing road repair work on River Road from Swan Road to Camino Rio Soleado.
Work will consist of mobilizing equipment, lowering utilities, milling, repaving and striping River Road. Hours of operation will be from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Motorists can expect lane restrictions and reduced speed. Please approach the area with caution and obey all traffic control devices. Minor delays may occur during this work.
The public is invited to an open house about the scheduled Arizona Department of Transportation project to improve SR 189, including adding flyover ramps at the I-19 interchange. The open house will be from 5-7:30 p.m. on Feb. 20 at Nogales High School, 1905 N. Apache Boulevard.
For more about the project, click HERE.
The I-10 westbound ramp to SR 83 will be closed for four weeks for a guardrail replacement project. Drivers will be detoured to Colossal Cave/Wentworth and eastbound I-10 to reach SR 83.
La Cholla Boulevard will be closed between Lambert Lane and W. Overton Road. Local access to homes, churches and other facilities on La Cholla Boulevard will be maintained throughout the closure. La Cañada Drive has been designated as the detour route.
The La Cholla Boulevard Phase II Improvements are on schedule with substantial completion anticipated at the end of September. This closure accelerates substantial completion to mid-August.
Drivers are encouraged to use the detour route onto La Cañada Drive and allow extra time for their commute. The town of Oro Valley has a stormwater project on the shoulder of Lambert Lane to the west of La Cholla Boulevard.
For safety purposes, pedestrians and bicyclists are asked to avoid the closed section of road and follow the detour routes.
Click here for a video featuring Public Works Director Paul Keesler explaining this closure.
La Cholla Boulevard Phase II – Overton Road to Tangerine Road information
Construction of the Phase II La Cholla Boulevard improvements, from Overton Road to Tangerine Road, began in January 2019. Hunter Contracting Co. is the contractor. The northern 80 percent of the roadway is located in the Town of Oro Valley with the remaining 20% being located in unincorporated Pima County. The project improvements, managed by the Town of Oro Valley, will reduce congestion, improve safety and provide additional capacity for future traffic demands.
Improvements in this phase will include:
· Widening to four lanes
· A landscaped median
· Turn lanes and traffic signals
· Bicycle lanes, multi-use paths and ADA facilities
· Drainage improvements
· Wildlife crossings
· Retaining walls
For more information, visit the project website at www.lachollaimprovements.info
Residents of N. Scenic Drive between the addresses 9011 and 8975 will have to contend with a construction zone beginning on Thursday, June 20. No estimate was given for how long the project would last.
Road closed signs will mark the construction zone, which will be closed to the public and should never be entered.
Access to 9011 N. Scenic Drive and any residences north will need to use Twin Peaks/Silverbell Road to the north. Access to 8975 N. Scenic Drive and any residence south will need to use Pima Farms Road to the south.
For Residents of Scenic Drive: A sign will be placed at each driveway along Scenic Drive with an arrow showing the direction of ingress/egress for that day. Crews will make every effort to keep this direction the same throughout the day.
If garbage cans are within the construction zone, they will be moved outside of the zone to allow for pickup. Crews will help with mail delivery access if mailboxes are within the construction zone.