TUCSON, AZ (KOLD News 13) - Ever hit the trails at Sabino Canyon? What about camping at Rose Canyon?
It’s going to cost you a whole lot more to do those things and more, in the future.
Coronado National Forest said it will begin making adjustments to the fee program during late summer or fall.
The increase is part of the Restructuring Developed Recreation, an initiative to increase sustainability. The USDA said the fee proposal was shared with the public in 2017 and 2018 and a majority of people supported the increases.
“We have very much appreciated input from our stakeholders and users in helping us to shape a more sustainable developed recreation program,” said Forest Supervisor Kerwin S. Dewberry. “In previous efforts to that end, we removed underutilized facilities, reduced the recreation program workforce, worked with partners and volunteers, applied for grants, increased fee compliance and installed lower-maintenance facilities. Implementation of the fee proposal will move us closer to where we need to be to provide the quality of experiences our visitors have come to expect.”
The increases and new fee sites are listed below:
- Day Pass: Was $5 per day, $10 per week. Will be $8 per day, $10 per week.
- Camping: Was $10. Will be $15 for low-use and $20 for high-use campgrounds (see list below).
- Group Sites: The cost was varied. It will now be $50, plus $10 vehicle fee.
- Annual: It was $20. It will increase to $40.
- Number of Fee Sites: Was 78. Will be 98 (see list below).
High-Use Campgrounds: Arcadia, Bog Springs, Cochise Stronghold, General Hitchcock, Gordon Hirabayashi, Idlewilde, Lakeview, Molino Basin, Riggs Flat, Soldier creek, Stewart, Sunny Flat.
Low-Use Campgrounds: Camp Rucker, Columbine Corrals, Cypress Park, Cunningham, Herb Martyr, Hospital Flat, Noon Creek, Peppersauce, Ramsey Vista, Reef Townsite, Rucker Forest Camp, Rustler Park, Shannon, Stockton Pass, Sycamore, White Rock.
Douglas Ranger District
- Campgrounds: Herb Martyr, Sycamore
Nogales Ranger District
- Day-Use Sites: Pena Blanca Lake Fishing and Boating Site, Red Rock Picnic Area, Upper and Lower Thumb Rock Picnic Areas, Whipple Picnic Area and Nature Trail
Sierra Vista Ranger District
- Day-Use Sites: Brown Canyon Ranch, Carr Canyon Picnic Area, Parker Canyon Lake Fishing and Boating Site, Nature Trail
Safford Ranger District
- Day Use Sites: Riggs Lake Fishing and Boating Site
- Campgrounds: Noon Creek, Stockton Pass
- Group Sites: Columbine Visitor Center Ramada, Stockton Pass, Treasure Park, Twilight, Upper Arcadia
Santa Catalina Ranger District
- Day Use Sites: Bigelow Trailhead, Butterfly Trailhead
- Group Sites: Gordon Hirabayashi Group Site (horse camp)