Police reports detail inconsistencies with Oro Valley murder suspect’s answers

Trevor Draegeth is accused of killing his wife and trying to make it look like a suicide
Updated: May. 10, 2019 at 5:39 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD News 13) - Police arrested Trevor Draegeth on suspicion of murdering his wife, Laurie, weeks after her death at their home in Oro Valley.

Newly released records details the initial skepticism officers had of Draegeth’s explanation of what happened.

Soon after arresting Draegeth, officers stated he tried to make his wife's death look like a suicide.

Newly released reports show one investigator couldn't see a connection with Draegeth's explanation and the layout of the room, the bullet holes and the body.

Repeatedly he was told the story didn’t match the evidence but Draegeth “remained inconsistent” and “vague”.

(Source: KOLD)

Detectives analyzing his 911 call noted that his first words were "Hello, my wife tried to shoot me" and he didn't reference her being shot until roughly 45 seconds into the call.

One officer took note of Draegeth asking a DCS caseworker how long until life would return to normal. He asked the worker if it would be “one week?."

Another officer believed Draegeth showed little emotion. When asked about it, the suspect stated he was "unable to cry" because of his medical condition.

He told police he attempted to clean up the area before calling 911. He claimed to have done a “bad job” cleaning and tells police to “investigate the gun,” according to one officer’s notes.

“In reference to the gun Trevor says it’s a crappy attempt to fix it. He is asked if he was trying to fix it by getting his fingerprints off, Trevor says he presumes his fingerprints are everywhere,” the officer wrote in his report.

Investigators used a chemical to help identify latent traces of blood. It was found in various spots in the master bedroom and bathroom. Draegeth told police he had tried cleaning the scene so that his daughters wouldn't see anything.

The two girls were in the home at the time of the shooting but they were not hurt. Officers helped to escort them out of the home without seeing their mother, the gun or any other aspect of the shooting.

When police notified Draegeth, a lawyer, experts didn’t believe his wife shot herself, he said “great,” according to one officer’s report.

Draegeth was released from jail when his bond was reduced on April 10.

On April 25, he was back in court as prosecutors tried to get that bond revoked. They claimed he violated conditions of his release by contacting Laurie’s family and friends.

A judge decide to only warn Draegeth and told him he could only use electronic devices for his work.

If Draegeth tries to contact Laurie’s family or friends again, he could find himself back in jail until his trial.

Copyright 2019 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.