TUCSON, AZ (KOLD News 13) - Carry The Load will be in Tucson on Monday, May 13, as part of their 32-day and 40-state mission.
Since 2011, this event has grown from a local Dallas march into a national movement to honor and remember those who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty.
The event meant to restore the true meaning of Memorial Day, will run from 10 a.m. until 12:45 p.m.
The schedule will be as follows:
MEMORIAL MAY AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
The Memorial May campaign encourages people to walk with the National Relay team, attend a City Rally, join the Dallas Memorial March and host a Carry It Anywhere event in memory and honor of our fallen heroes.
Memorial May campaign elements include:
- The National Relay is a 11,500-mile journey across America, handing off the American flag every five miles for 32 straight days.
- 4,600-mile West Coast Route from Seattle to Dallas, starting April 25
- 3,000-mile East Coast Route from West Point to Dallas, starting April 29
- 3,900-mile Midwest Route from Minneapolis to Dallas, starting May 3
- Plus, stops at 25+ National Cemeteries in collaboration with the National Cemetery Administration, a Department of U.S. Veteran Affairs
- 55+ City Rallies across the nation in May
- 20-hour Dallas Memorial March on Memorial Day Weekend
2011 Founded by Veteran U.S. Navy SEALs, Clint Bruce and Stephen Holley, Carry The Load’s mission to restore the true meaning of Memorial Day featured a 20-hour and 11-minute Memorial March that took place on Memorial Day in Dallas.
2012 Launched a National Relay, consisting of an East Coast Route from West Point to Dallas
2016 Added a West Coast Route from Seattle to Dallas
2017 Covered more than 19 states, including 50 City Rallies throughout the country
2019 Added a Midwest Route from Minneapolis to Dallas; footprint increases to 40 states
$21.7 million raised since 2011
93.14% goes toward Carry The Load’s Awareness, Continuum of Care and Education programs