TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Southern Arizona school districts participate in Summer Food Program as the school year comes to a close.
Amphitheater Public Schools is serving free breakfast and lunch at four sites this summer. Meal service will be provided, without charge, to all children age 18 and under, regardless of race, color, nationality, origin, sex, age, or disability. Additionally, children do not need to be enrolled in an Amphitheater school to receive the free meals.
The Flowing Wells Unified School District’s Summer Food Service Program for Children will provide FREE breakfast and lunch to all children 18 and younger at the following sites from Monday to Thursday until June 27.
- Richardson Elementary (6901 N. Comino De La Tierra)
- Flowing Wells High School (3725 N. Flowing Wells Road)
- Sentinel Peak High School (4125 W. Aerie Drive)
- Butterfield Elementary School - 3400 W. Massingale Road, Tucson: June 10 – July 19 (M-F); (*Closed July 1 - 5) Breakfast 7:45 - 8:30 a.m.; Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Estes Elementary School - 11280 W. Grier Road, Marana: May 28 – June 28 (M-F); July 8 - July 12 (M-F) Breakfast 7:45 - 8:30 a.m.; Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Marana Middle School - 11285 W. Grier Road, Marana: July 22 - July 25 (M-Th); Breakfast 8 - 8:30 a.m.; Lunch 11 a.m. - noon
- Picture Rocks Elementary School - 5875 N. Sanders Road, Tucson: June 3 - June 27 (M-Th); Breakfast 7:45 - 8:30 a.m.; Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Quail Run Elementary School - 4600 W. Cortaro Farms Road, Tucson: May 28 - July 26 (M-F) *Closed July 4; Breakfast 7:30 - 8:15 a.m.; Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Roadrunner Elementary School - 16651 W. Calle Carmela, Marana: June 3 - July 12 (M-F) *Closed July 1 - 5; Breakfast 7:45 - 8:30 a.m.; Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday May 28 - July 26 (will be closed July 4)
- 11 a.m. to noon: SE corner of Sandario and Anthony roads, next to the Marana Congregation of Jehovah’s Witness Church
- 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.: 16560 W. El Tiro Road (El Tiro and Anway roads) At the Marana Domestic Water Improvement District
During the school year, many children receive free and reduced-price breakfast and lunch through the School Breakfast and National School Lunch Programs. Just as learning does not end when school lets out, neither does a child’s need for good nutrition. Hunger is one of the most severe roadblocks to the learning process. Lack of nutrition during the summer months may set up a cycle for poor performance once school begins again. Hunger also may make children more prone to illness and other health issues. The Summer Food Program is designed to fill that nutrition gap and make sure children can get free nutritious meals.
The Summer Food Service Program for Children is a federally funded program operated nationally by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by the Marana Unified School District and other agencies. Marana Unified School District qualifies for this program by having a high percentage of families that fall within the free and reduced income standards.
For additional information, please call 520-682-4737.
The Sunnyside Unified School District will provide free breakfast and lunch during the summer at approximately 14 sites to children 18 and younger.
Adult meals will be provided at a minimal cost of $1.75 for breakfast and $3.25 for lunch. All sites will be closed on July 4 and 5 in observance of the 4th of July holiday.
More information is at susd12.org/district/que_pasa/summer-meal-program-2019
The Summer Food Services Program for Children provides free breakfast and lunch meals during the summer break to children 18 and younger. For adults accompanying children, breakfast is available for $2 and lunch for $3. (Please have exact change.)
Breakfast and lunch are served in school site cafeterias or in designated eating areas of the non-school sites.
The program will run until July 17. No meals will be served on July 4. Dates of service and meal times vary by site. Dates and times are subject to change. See the schedule and locations below to find out when and where meals will be served.
For more information, call the individual site office, or the Food Services office at (520) 225-4700. To find out if there is a Summer Food Service Program site near you, please call the 24-hour, bilingual Helpline at: 1-800-352-3792.
There are no income requirements, and any child under age 18 may come to eat.
Here is information about Vail Summer Food sites:
- Clements Recreation Center: 8155 E. Poinciana Drive - Mon-Fri Breakfast 7:45 – 8:30 a.m. Lunch 11:45 – 12:30 p.m.
- Dunham Elementary School: 9850 E. 29th Street - Mon-Fri Breakfast 8 – 8:30 a.m. Lunch 12 – 12:30 p.m.
- Littletown Recreation Center 6465 S. Craycroft Road - Mon-Fri Breakfast 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Lunch 11:15 – 12:30 p.m.
- Ford Elementary School: 8001 E. Stella Road - Mon-Fri Breakfast 7:30 – 8 a.m. Lunch 12 – 12:30 p.m.
For more information about the national Summer Food Service Program, visit http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/summer.
SAN TAN VALLEY, ARIZ. - The J.O. Combs Summer Food Program is providing free meals to anyone age 18 and younger until June 27 at Harmon Elementary School, 39315 N. Cortona Drive, San Tan Valley.
The Summer Food Program will be available Monday through Thursday, with breakfast offered from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., and lunch offered from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
Adults 18 years and older are able to purchase meals for $2 at breakfast and $3 at lunch.
In addition to the Summer Food Program, the J.O. Combs Food Bank will also be open for limited summer hours to continue to serve families in need. Days of operation are Tuesdays, June 4, June 18, and July 2 from 9 a.m. to noon; normal hours of operation, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. will resume on Tuesday, July 30.
The Food Bank serves families with children living in and attending school in the district, or families living in district boundaries. Proof of residency is required as well as self declaration of income. The Food Bank is housed at the J.O. Combs District office, located at 301 E. Combs Road, San Tan Valley.
For more information please visit www.jocombs.org or call (480) 987-5322.