UPDATE: Yuma police find no evidence of tainted Halloween candy

UPDATE: Yuma police find no evidence of tainted Halloween candy
A three-year-old child was taken to the hospital after eating Halloween candy; authorities said the cause may have been THC gummies. (Source: Yuma Police Department)

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - A young Arizona child got sick Halloween night and his parents said he may have eaten THC candy.

On Tuesday, the Yuma Police Department said an investigation found no evidence the candy was tainted.

The investigation began after a 3-year-old was taken to the hospital. The boys’ parents said he consumed gummy fish candy from his Halloween bucket.

"It was reported the child became lethargic and displayed dilated pupils and abnormal behavior after eating some candy," the YPD said in a news release.

According to the child’s parents, they went to two trick-or-treat events in Yuma on Halloween.

Officers said they found an unwrapped gummy resembling a Swedish Fish in the child’s Halloween bucket. The department said the style of gummy is popular in the marijuana industry. The candy was sent for testing to find any traces of tetrahydrocannabinol, the component in marijuana that gets users high, or any other illicit substance.

The investigation found that the candy the child consumed did not have any illicit substance in it, Yuma police announced on their Facebook page Tuesday evening.

“The Yuma Police Department takes all suspicious incidents seriously and feels it is better be cautious when it comes to the safety of our community,” officials wrote in the statement on Facebook.

Copyright 2019 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.