TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) — The polling locations across southern Arizona were relatively quiet Tuesday night, but voters were still making their voices heard.
Tucson voters in the ballot-by-mail general election were tasked with many decisions — most notably choosing a mayor and deciding whether or not to become Arizona’s first so-called sanctuary city through the passage of Proposition 205.
There were also city council races for Wards 1, 2 and 4.
The results listed below are not official until validated by election officials. You can check for more results HERE.
- Regina Romero (Democrat) defeated Ed Ackerley (Independent) and Mike Cease (Green Party). In the early results, Romero was leading with 56 percent of the vote to Ackerley’s 40 percent and Cease’s 4 percent.
- Voters rejected the measure 71 percent to 29 percent. If passed, the Sanctuary City Initiative would have restricted the actions of Tucson police officers regarding the determination of immigration status.
- Voters rejected the measure 60 percent to 40 percent. If passed, the proposition would have almost doubled the salaries for the Tucson mayor and city council.
- Ward 1: Lane Santa Cruz (D) defeated Sam Nagy (R) and Matthew Smith (G).
- Ward 2: Paul Cunningham (D) defeated Ewart Williams (R), William Peterson (G).
- Ward 3: Nikki Lee (D) defeated Michael Hicks (R), Cara Bissell (G).
Tucson residents weren’t the only ones voting. There were several propositions for budget overrides and bonds across southern Arizona.
- Prop 472 Altar Valley ESD Override Continuation: Passed 54 percent to 46 percent.
- Prop 473 Flowing Wells USD Override Continuation: Passed 56 percent to 44 percent.
- Prop 474 Sunnyside USD Override: Failed 53 percent to 47 percent.
- Prop 475 Amphitheater USD Override Continuation: Passed 59 percent to 41 percent.
- Prop 476 Amphitheater USD K-3 Override: Passed 58 percent to 42 percent.
- Prop 477 Golder Ranch Fire District Bond: Passed 55 percent to 45 percent.
- Prop 501 Tombstone USD Bond: Failed 56 percent to 44 percent.
- Prop 502 Willcox USD Bond: Failed 52 percent to 49 percent.
- Prop 601 Nogales USD Override Continuation: Passed 59 percent to 41 percent.
- Prop 602 Santa Cruz Valley USD Override: Failed 52 percent to 48 percent.
- Prop 603 Santa Cruz Valley USD Bond: Passed 52 percent to 48 percent.