Gov. Ducey issues updated guidance for restaurants, coffee shops, barbers and cosmetologists

Gov Ducey plans to re-open AZ economy May 4 10 p.m.

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Gov. Doug Ducey announced the next steps Arizona will take to gradually re-energize the economy in a press conference on Monday, May 4.

The Governor issued an Executive Order allowing cosmetologists and barber shops to resume appointment-based services this Friday, May 8 and restaurants and coffee shops to resume dine-in services with physical distancing measures on Monday, May 11.

The Governor’s Office also released additional guidelines to keep customers and employees safe.

In addition, the Governor issued an Executive Order requiring expanded reporting of COVID-19 related information to residents of long-term care facilities, as well as their next of kin and guardians and prospective residents.

“Arizona continues to focus on protecting public health, supporting those in need and ensuring we’re taking the necessary steps to return stronger,” said Governor Ducey. “Our efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 are working — and Arizonans are still encouraged to limit time away from home. Arizona will continue to take a steady approach and work with the Arizona Department of Health Services as we breathe life back into our businesses and provide guidance on reopening. More to come.”

Under the order, barbers and cosmetologists can resume operations on Friday, May 8 as long as they establish and implement safety protocols and best practices, including using face coverings for employees and customers, operating by appointment only and following protocols as directed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States Department of Labor Division of Occupational Safety and the Arizona Department of Health Services.

Additionally, restaurants and coffee shops can resume dine-in services on Monday, May 11.

The operators must establish and implement safety protocols and best practices, including enacting physical distancing policies, limiting the number of diners and following protocols as directed by the CDC, the United States Department of Labor Division of Occupational Safety and Health Administration and ADHS.

This comes after the state released new numbers showing a “downward trajectory of positive COVID-19 cases over the past 14 days”.

“We will be monitoring the health of our healthcare system [as the state re-opens],” said Dr. Cara Christ, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services.

Christ says more than 85,000 tests have been conducted in the state so far, and officials plan to increase testing further. Sonora Quest Laboratories is building capacity to conduct more than 3,000 new anti-body tests a day. At least 6,500 people were tested for the virus during Arizona’s first ‘testing blitz’ on Saturday.

“What we want to do is avoid a second wave,” said Ducey. “We are making decisions with the confidence that we are going in the right direction and continue to make decisions in time that will turn the light brighter.”

Ducey says if there is a second wave, the state will use different “tools” to address it. However, he would not specify if that would include closing businesses again.

Gyms and pools will be included in the next phase of the re-open plan.

On Monday, Ducey also issued an executive order requiring long-term care facilities to notify next-of-kin when residents test positive or are exposed to someone with the virus. The order also mandates the disclosure of any previous or active COVID-19 cases to prospective residents.

Copyright 2020 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.