Tucson officials show video of in-custody death; police chief offers resignation

Medical Examiner releases autopsy, toxicology reports on death of Carlos Ingram-Lopez
Tucson police Chief Chris Magnus speaks at a news conference in which he offered his...
Tucson police Chief Chris Magnus speaks at a news conference in which he offered his resignation, as Tucson Mayor Regina Romero (left) listens on Wednesday, June 24.(KOLD News 13)
Updated: Jun. 24, 2020 at 6:45 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus offered his resignation Wednesday, June 24, during a news conference about the death of a suspect in custody in April.

The offer came moments after the department released a video showing Carlos Adrian Ingram-Lopez’s arrest.

Mayor Regina Romero said she didn’t know about Magnus’ offer before the meeting and will have to discuss the matter further with city leaders.

Romero did praise Magnus for his commitment to the community. Magnus released a statement, which can be read HERE, following the news conference.

“The Tucson Police Department’s highest value is the sanctity of life,” Magnus wrote. “We are responsible for the care of individuals in our custody.”

GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING: Video from this news conference contains nudity, foul language and death.

Tucson leaders hosted a news conference Wednesday, June 24, to talk about the in-custody death of Carlos Adrian Ingram-Lopez.

Three police officers involved in the incident resigned last week, but the TPD said they would have been terminated for violating protocol.

The former officers are Jonathan Jackson, Samuel Routledge and Ryan Starbuck.

According to a TPD personnel report, which can be read HERE, the three were guilty of failing to take appropriate action, use of force and actions on duty.

“The investigation revealed a series of actions by each of the three focus officers that showed complete disregard for the training provided to each, disregard for established policy, but most importantly an apparent indifference or inability to recognize an individual in medical distress and take the appropriate action to mitigate the distress,” Assistant Chief Kevin Hall wrote in his investigation.

Jonathan Jackson, Samuel Routledge and Ryan Starbuck resigned from the Tucson Police Department...
Jonathan Jackson, Samuel Routledge and Ryan Starbuck resigned from the Tucson Police Department after Carlos Adrian Ingram-Lopez died while in custody in April.(Tucson Police Department)

Three other TPD personnel — Sgt. Robert Mitchell, Officer Andrew Fedor and Officer Jerin Soor — were involved in the incident. All three were cleared of wrongdoing during the investigation.

Jackson had been with the TPD for five years, Routledge spent the last year and a half with the department and Starbuck was in his third year.

Magnus said neither Jackson nor Routledge had complaints on their records. Starbuck had one complaint alleging he did not search a suspect well enough in January 2019 and missed a handgun.

Unedited footage from the incident was shown during the conference.

The incident began around 1:14 a.m. when Ingram-Lopez’s grandmother called the police and said he was drunk, nude and yelling. The department said Ingram-Lopez had a warrant out for a previous domestic violence incident.

At 1:20 a.m., Jackson, Routledge and Starbuck arrived on the scene and found Ingram-Lopez naked in a garage.

Initially, Ingram-Lopez complied with the officers’ commands and laid on his stomach.

When officers tried to handcuff Ingram-Lopez, he began to struggle.

During the struggle, Ingram-Lopez can be heard asking for help and water before he loses consciousness.

The 27-year-old Ingram-Lopez, who at least once said he couldn’t breathe, also appeared to be hallucinating, according to the report.

After officers handcuffed Ingram-Lopez, they covered him with emergency blankets and put a spit sock over his head.

About 13 minutes into the incident, Ingram-Lopez became unconscious. Officers moved him onto his side and called Tucson Fire Department for medical assistance.

Officers then administered Narcan, believing he was overdosing and began CPR.

Ingram-Lopez was pronounced dead at 2:06 a.m., less than an hour after officers first showed up on the scene.

Earlier Wednesday, the Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner released the autopsy and toxicology reports on Ingram-Lopez that stated the cause of death was “sudden cardiac arrest in the setting of acute cocaine intoxication and physical restraint with cardiac left ventricular hypertrophy as a significant contributing condition.”

The manner of death has not been determined.

The toxicology report showed positive tests for stimulants, both benzoylecgonine and cocaine. Prior to his death, there was reported shouting with aggressive behavior and reported physical restraint.

You can read the full autopsy report HERE and the toxicology report HERE.

GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING: This body cam video contains nudity, foul language and death.

Body camera video released Wednesday, June 24, shows the in-custody death of Carlos Adrian Ingram-Lopez.

Copyright 2020 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.