TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Members of the public have until Friday, Jan. 8, to share comments about the Draft Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed Sonoran Corridor that would connect Interstate 19 and Interstate 10 south of the Tucson International Airport.
More than 50 people participated in a Dec. 1 in-person public hearing and a Dec. 3 virtual public hearing the Arizona Department of Transportation held to give a presentation on the study and to hear comments. The presentation and other information are available at azdot.gov/sonorancorridor.
Comments are welcome via:
All comments and questions will be responded to by the project team in a combined Final Tear 1/Record of Decision, anticipated to be released in summer 2021.
The proposed Sonoran Corridor would extend from Interstate 19 near El Toro Road to Interstate 10 near Rita Road. There is no timeline for building a road in this corridor.
ADOT and the Federal Highway Administration have developed the Draft Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement that identified and studied a range of possible corridors along with the opportunities and constraints of each. This study considers the potential social, economic and natural environment impacts of the alternatives, as well as the impact of not building a freeway in this area. The study began in 2017.
Public involvement is an important part of the process that allows the community to ask questions and share comments and concerns about potential locations for the proposed corridor as well as environmental considerations, impacts on wildlife habitat and cultural resources, and other modes of transportation that may be considered.
Hard copies and/or electronic copies of the Draft Tier 1 EIS are also available at the following repository locations:
- ADOT Southcentral District Office, 1221 S. Second Ave. in Tucson. By appointment only between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays. You must call at least 48 hours in advance at 520.235.3494.
- Sahuarita Town Hall, Clerk’s Office, 375 W. Sahuarita Center Way, Sahuarita. Available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Information: 520.822.8801.
- Joel D. Valdez Main Library, 101 N. Stone Ave.,Tucson. Copies can be reserved for two-day checkout. Information: 520.594.5564.
- Joyner-Green Valley Library, 601 N. La Cañada Dr., Green Valley. Information: 520.594.5295
- Copies are available for purchase, delivery or pick up at The UPS Store, 2004 E. Irvington Road, Tucson. Information: 520.889-0077. Contact the store for cost and details.
For more information about this study, please visit azdot.gov/SonoranCorridor.