TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Although there is not currently any indication that unrest will occur locally, the Tucson Police Department says it is taking steps to maintain order and protect elected and government officials, as well as the community as a whole, from illegal harassment and intimidation.
These steps include:
- Working with federal and state law enforcement partners to maintain awareness of and coordinate the response to any information about such activities
- Ensuring that necessary personnel are available
- Increasing attention given to sensitive locations in Tucson
- Taking a no-tolerance approach to illegal harassment or intimidation
- Coordinating with police chiefs in other major cities (Tucson is a member of the Major Cities Chiefs Association) and the FBI to identify early warning signs of trouble and to share best-practice strategies for dealing with conduct that unlawfully violates anyone’s Constitutional rights
Regarding the insurrection in D.C., TPD has no information that would indicate that any of its members were present or participated in the insurrection.
The department says to its knowledge, no department member was involved in criminal activity; however, if TPD received such information, those allegations would be thoroughly investigated.