UPDATE: Complaint ties teen charged in deadly midtown shooting to gun allegedly used in the crime

Maurice Diaz-Casales is facing charges of felony flight from an officer and drug offense....
Maurice Diaz-Casales is facing charges of felony flight from an officer and drug offense. Tucson Police said Diaz-Casales was driving a vehicle connected to a May 1 homicide when he was arrested Thursday, May 6.(Tucson Police Department)
Published: May. 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM MST|Updated: May. 12, 2021 at 10:37 AM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - An interim complaint on a deadly midtown shooting shed more light on the victim’s injuries and the teen suspect charged in the crime.

Maurice Diaz-Casales, 18, faces a first-degree murder charge in the shooting death of David Scott Anderson, 30, on Saturday, May 1. The complaint states Anderson was shot in the back as he walked down the street near Freemont Avenue and Waverly Street. The autopsy reports he had several bruises on his right shoulder, both knees, right forearm, right foot and right hand.

The document states less than a month ago, Maurice Diaz-Casales bought the white four-door vehicle he allegedly drove during the shooting from his in-laws. Investigators said they found out he was out on pretrial release for “multiple” robbery arrests at the time of the shooting.

A spent .45 caliber casing was found at the scene of the shooting and, during his arrest, Diaz-Casales had a .45 bullet in his pocket, along with pain pills. Both the casing and the bullet were stamped “Ammo Inc 45 Auto” but Diaz-Casales said he had found the bullet three weeks before his arrest, the complaint states.

However, during the arrest, police found a loaded Glock .45 handgun in his car, along with a 9mm handgun. The handgun had several live rounds, each stamped “Ammo Inc 45 Auto,” according to the complaint. A firearm technician confirmed the Glock was the same one that “deposited the spent cartridge at the scene” of the shooting.

They also found Diaz-Casales’ DNA on the Glock and the gun was reported stolen in Phoenix.

On the day of his arrest, Diaz-Casales told officers that he was with his girlfriend the day of the shooting. When officers asked about the shooting, Diaz-Casales requested an attorney. Diaz-Casales’ girlfriend said she was with him at her house on May 1. But, she said his friends showed up and he left with them.

She said she was not able to get in touch with him for several days after that.

At first, Diaz-Casales was only charged with felony flight and drug possession. That changed this week and he now faces a more serious murder charge.

Diaz-Casales was initially arrested alongside a group of minors after a police pursuit days after Anderson’s death. However, according to the complaint, the minors said they didn’t know anything about the shooting and had only met Diaz-Casales earlier that day.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information should call 88-CRIME or go to

Copyright 2021 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.