LIVE STORM BLOG: Tucson Parks closes sports fields; flash flood warning for southeastern Pima County expires
TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Fields administered by Tucson Parks and Recreation are closed on Wednesday, Aug. 11, because of poor conditions.
Thunderstorms that filled washes and left many roads in the area flooded also saturated the fields.
The National Weather Service in Tucson issued a flash flood warning for southeastern Pima County early Wednesday, but it expired at 7:45 a.m.
Thunderstorms produced heavy rain and flash flooding near and west of Green Valley. The NWS said between 1 and 3 inches of rain fell.
Locations that experienced flash flooding included Sahuarita and Green Valley, including Interstate 19. Streams and drainages in the warning include South Mendoza Wash, Peitas Wash, Sopori Wash, Demetrie Wash, Cerro Prieto Wash, Altar Wash, Banner Wash, Champurrado Wash, Santa Cruz River, Brawley Wash and Old Junction Wash.
When the National Weather Service issues weather alerts in our region, they will be listed HERE.
First responders from the Tucson and Rural Metro fire departments and Rincon Valley Fire District rescued at least four people from flowing washes overnight.
Rural Metro firefighters rescued a driver from the Agua Caliente Wash near Tanque Verde Road and Bonanza Avenue.
Earlier, firefighters from Rincon Valley rescued a woman whose car got swept away in a flooded wash near South Camino Loma Alta and Old Spanish Trail. The woman was not injured.
The Tucson Fire Department also was called to a swift-water rescue at a wash near Kino Parkway and 15th Street.
As of 10 a.m., several roads were closed in Pima County due to the weather. Those roads are:
- Overton Road from La Cholla Boulevard to Verch Way
- Camino de la Tierra from Valencia Road to Bilby Road
- Snyder Road east of Scenic Mountain Drive at Ventana Wash
- Mission Road north of Duval Mine Road
- Mission Road north and south of milepost 1
- Wentworth Road north of Speedway Boulevard
- Wentworth Road south of Cape Horn Drive
- Andrada Road east of Reta Drive to Calle Rinconado
- Ft Lowell Road at Agua Caliente Wash
- Limberlost Road west of Soldier Trail at Agua Caliente Wash
- Soldier Trail at the Agua Caliente Wash
- Tanque Verde Loop Road south of Linden Street at the Tanque Verde Creek
- Tanque Verde Loop Road north of Speedway Boulevard at the Tanque Verde Creek
- River Road east of Pontatoc Road
- Old Spanish Trail north of Valencia Road to Escalante Road
- Camino Loma Alta south of Camino De Ruiz
- Avra Valley Road west of El Paso Gas Road
- Havasu Road at Columbus Boulevard
- Aldon and Jamie roads
- Trico Road south of the Santa Cruz River Bridge
- Trico Road south of Hardin Road
- Calle Rinconado south of Andrada Road, northbound and southbound
First Alert Forecast
- WEDNESDAY: 30% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with highs in the mid-90s.
- WEDNESDAY NIGHT: 10% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with lows in the low 70s.
- THURSDAY: 30% rain/storm chance. Mostly sunny with highs in the low 90s.
- FRIDAY: 50% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with highs in the low 90s.
- SATURDAY: 50% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with highs in the upper 80s.
- SUNDAY: 50% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with highs in the low 90s.
- MONDAY: 50% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with highs in the low 90s.
- TUESDAY: 30% rain/storm chance. Partly cloudy with highs in the low 90s.
To see more on the forecast, visit the KOLD weather page.
Monsoon 2021 has been one for the record books with both plenty of rain and damage.
While staying safe, we would love to see your weather video and photos. You can share them with us by going to https://widgets.burst.com/3fca9844
Copyright 2021 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.