UPDATE: Man dies of self-inflicted gunshot after hours-long standoff, police say

Published: Sep. 7, 2021 at 9:57 AM MST|Updated: Sep. 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - The Tucson Police Department said a man is dead he killed a woman and barricaded himself and took hostages in a hotel near Interstate 10 and Irvington on Tuesday, Sept. 7.

The Pima County Sheriff’s Department said the standoff happened at the Siegel Select Tucson hotel, which is located at 4800 South Butterfield Drive.

According to the TPD, 36-year-old Brandon Michael Watts fatally shot himself after he killed a woman police described as his girlfriend and fled to the hotel, where he held another woman and her four children hostage.

According to court documents, Watts has a long criminal history with at least two arrests in 2021 alone.

In January 2021, he was arrested on a domestic violence assault charge and was released. He was arrested on an assault charge in March and released. He was set to plead to both charges next week.

He also has previous arrests for drug possession, assault and failure to comply with a court order.

Brandon Michael Watts
Brandon Michael Watts(Tucson Police Department)

The TPD said officers were called shortly before 2 a.m. to the scene of a domestic dispute in the 3700 block of East 23rd Street, where they found 39-year-old Flor Del Mar Hernandez Tapia dead from gunshot wounds.

A 19-year-old woman was also shot but she was taken to a local hospital and is expected to recover.

After authorities learned Watts was in the area of Irvington and Palo Verde, PCSD deputies responded with their SWAT team. Almost simultaneously, police say, deputies were called to the hotel, where they discovered that Watts had barricaded himself in a room with hostages.

Over the course of several hours, authorities negotiated with Watts, who ultimately let the hostages go. The children were unharmed and the mother was injured, but expected to recover.

Watts refused to surrender and around 5:40 p.m., SWAT went into the room and found Watts dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Copyright 2021 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.