LIST: Free sandbags available throughout southern Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - Monsoon officially begins June 15 and there are several locations to pick up sandbags in southern Arizona.
KOLD will continue to update this list as more locations open. If you know of any in your area, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
Sandbags are available until the Operation Splash Program ends in mid-September at the Hi Corbett Field east parking lot, 700 S. Randolph Way.
The self-serve station is to be available 24/7 ahead of the first forecasted storm. Sand and bags are provided, but you need to bring your own shovel.
Visit https://www.tucsonaz.gov/operationsplash for the latest information.
Self-serve sandbag-filling locations will be open seven days a week.
Once activated, sandbags can be picked up at the following locations:
- Marana Heritage River Park: 12280 N. Heritage Park Drive
- Camino de Manana and Tangerine Road, NE corner: 4228 W. Tangerine Road
- Silverbell Road and Linda Vista Boulevard, SE corner: 8057 W. Linda Vista Boulevard
There is a limit of 20 sandbags per vehicle. Shovels are not provided.
Beginning June 15, town residents can pick up sandbags through the duration of the 2023 monsoon (or while supplies last).
The new 2023 distribution location will be at the James D Kriegh Park North Parking Lot at 9451 N. Egleston Drive. Access the lot from Linda Vista Boulevard. There is no access from Calle Concordia.
Due to limited supplies, there is a limit of 10 sandbags per vehicle. Sandbags are self-service; the town will provide the bags and sand, but you will need to bring your own shovel and load your own sand.
Anyone who needs assistance can make an appointment with town staff to pick up pre-bagged sand at a designated time. To book your appointment please contact staff at Stormwater Utility staff at 520-229-4850 (option 3) or PW@orovalleyaz.gov.
Pima County is providing sandbags at the following locations:
- 16091 W. Universal Ranch Road - fire station in Arivaca
- East Snyder Road and North Lason Lane
- East Carter Canyon Road and North Sabino Canyon Parkway - Mt. Lemmon
- 3885 E. Golder Ranch Drive - fire station in Catalina
- North Pima Canyon Drive and East Ina Road
- East Dawson Road and South County Club Road
- 1313 S. Mission Road - Pima County Mission Yard
- South Camino Verde and West Ajo Hwy - fire station
- Trico Road and Silverbell Road - fire station
- 12121 W. Picture Rocks Drive - fire station
- N. La Cañada Drive and Paseo Del Chino in Green Valley
- Benson Road Yard, 901 E. Fourth Street
- Bisbee Road Yard, 1229 Hereford Road
- Douglas Road Yard, 3665 N. Leslie Canyon Road
- Elfrida Road Yard, 3988 W. Thompson Road
- Willcox Road Yard, 500 W. Railroad Avenue
- Hereford Pit Material Yard - Please call 520-432-9310
- Bowie - 766 W. Business Loop off I-10
- Coronado Lakes Estates (Douglas) off Cipriano Drive at the Water Tanks
- Elfrida Fire Department, 10293 N. Central Highway
- Palominas Fire (Hereford Station), 10202 E. Highway 92
- Palominas Fire (Miracle Valley Station) 9695 E. Highway 92
- Portal - Intersection of Foothills and Portal Road
- Whetstone Fire District, 2422 N. Firehouse Lane
- Willow Lakes Subdivision (Benson) at the Water Tank
Santa Cruz County
In 2022, Santa Cruz County provided sand and bags for county residents at the following locations from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This list will be updated when or if there are changes made for 2023. Please check the Santa Cruz County website for more information.
- 3173 SR 83 at the Sonoita Fire Station in Sonoita
- 142 N. Third Avenue at the Patagonia Fire Station in Patagonia
- 957 Calle Calabasas (off of West Frontage Road) at Fire Station II in Rio Rico
- 822 Pendleton Drive (Ruby Road intersection) at Fire Station III in Rio Rico
- 2227 W. Frontage Road at Fire Station I in Tubac
- 1360 W. Frontage Road (near Camino Lito Galindo) at Fire Station II in Rio Rico
- 330 Camino Josefina at Fire Station III in Rio Rico
- 149 Ruta Camaron at Fire Station IV in Rio Rico
- Fire Station #2 2751 N Grand Ave Nogales
- Fire Station #3 822 Pendleton Drive Rio Rico
- Fire Station #1 558 Highway 82 Nogales
- Fire Station #2 2751 N Grand Ave Nogales
Limit: 10 sandbags per residence. Bring your own shovel.
Be sure to subscribe to the 13 News YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/@13newskold