Six students arrested after Tucson High incident

Tucson High
Tucson High
Published: Sep. 13, 2023 at 11:35 AM MST|Updated: Sep. 13, 2023 at 5:33 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, Ariz. (13 News) - The Tucson Police Department said six students were arrested and released to their parents after Tucson High had gone under a brief lockdown this morning, September 13.

Tucson Police said officers responded to Tucson High for the report of a large fight.

TPD says it turned out to be multiple fights, and there was a report of a weapon.

After officers checked the school grounds, TUSD said the lockdown was lifted around 11:30 a.m.

TPD said five of the six students arrested are each facing charges of disturbing an educational institute. Police said the sixth student arrested is facing a felony charge of assault on a school employee.

Police said the school employee sustained minor injuries and was treated at the scene.

In reference to the reports of a gun, police confirmed there was a picture of a gun circulating the school.

Authorities said the picture was from a social media post and no evidence showed a gun was on campus during the incident.

Police said officers and school staff did a complete and detailed check of the school, and no weapons were found.

Tucson Police and School Safety remained at the school for the rest of the day.

Tucson Unified School District released the following statement regarding the incident:

Tucson Unified School Safety officers, and School and District administrators, have been working closely with Tucson Police Department in the investigation of the situation that occurred today at Tucson High Magnet School that activated a school wide lockdown.

The latest information confirms that three different physical altercations occurred, a total of six students were involved, the students were identified and immediately sent home pending disciplinary action in accordance with the TUSD Code of Conduct.

During the physical altercations, students alerted administrators that there was a rumor on social media that a student had a weapon at school. Immediately officers went to identify and find the student in his classroom. Once identified, it was confirmed that no weapon was found or ever seen on campus. To clarify, this student was not involved in any of the fights.

Tucson Unified can confirm that one staff member suffered a minor injury. The rest of the student body and staff were safe during the incident. We will continue to work closely with Tucson Police Department as the investigation continues. The safety of our students and staff is our main priority.

Be sure to subscribe to the 13 News YouTube channel: