TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Tucson schools recognized for innovative classes and unusual extra-curricular activities are some of the most highly ranked in the country, according to a new report.
lauded BASIS Tucson North, University High School, Sonoran Science Academy and Catalina Foothills High School for their teacher to student ratio, college readiness index, and math and reading proficiency.
The report's top 10 Arizona schools include:
1. BASIS Scottsdale
2. BASIS Tucson North
3. University High School (Tucson)
4. Gilbert Classical Academy High School (Gilbert)
5. University High School (Tolleson)
6. Northland Preparatory Academy (Flagstaff)
7. Sonoran Science Academy Tucson
8. Horizon Community Learning Center (Phoenix)
9. Catalina Foothills High School (Tucson)
10. Hamilton High School (Chandler)
BASIS Tucson North ranked second in Arizona and fifth in the nation, in part, because of its accelerated curriculum in the arts and math, plus its variety of extracurricular activities, like fencing and robo-rocketry, the report said.
Tucson's University High School, ranked third in Arizona and seventh nationally, is commended for its college readiness that includes a partnership with the University of Arizona that allows students taking an engineering course at the high school to get college credit.