Fire displaces two Avra Valley residents

Published: May. 16, 2015 at 7:09 PM MST|Updated: May. 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Two people are without a home today, and the Avra Valley Fire District is reminding the public of safety tips for burning candles after a fire ripped through a mobile home in the 9800 block of N. McGinnis Road, near West Culver and North Anway roads in Marana.

The Avra Valley FD responded to the call at 10:30 a.m., and when firefighters arrived, they found a single-wide trailer fully engulfed.

The two residents, a man and a woman, were asleep when the fire started, but the smoke and flames woke them up. They got out safely and uninjured, according to the AVFD.

Firefighters determined the fire was started by candles that were lit the previous night but weren't put out before the residents went to sleep.

The fire was under control within 10 minutes of firefighters' arrival, but the trailer is a total loss. Damage estimates are between $15,000 and $20,000.

No firefighters were injured.

The AVFD provided the following tips about candle safety:

  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won't tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don't burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
  • Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.

Copyright 2015 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.