Tucson News Now - A south-side laundry business is a little worse for the wear today after firefighters from the Tucson Fire Department extinguished a blaze a little before midnight that began in a commercial dryer.
According to TFD spokesman Capt. Chris Jurvig, several 911 calls came in reporting smoke at a commercial building in the 4400 block of South Sixth Avenue.
After forcing their way inside, firefighters found the place filled with smoke and cut a hole in the roof for ventilation and to increase visibility. Then they discovered a large commercial dryer was on fire and put it out.
In all, 24 firefighters took 21 minutes to extinguish the blaze, according to Jurvig. They determined the cause as "spontaneous combustion of rags." Damages are estimated at $10,000. The building was unoccupied at the time of the incident.