Rattlesnake bites 5-year-old boy in Marana
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - A 5-year-old boy is recovering at Banner University Medical Center after a rattlesnake bit him at a Marana park around 9 a.m. on Friday, according to Marana Police Department officer Bryant Brewer.
The boy's mother flagged him down while he was checking on an unrelated call in the parking lot of Crossroads at Silverbell Park near Cortaro and Silverbell.
Brewer told Tucson News Now the boy was bitten in the foot outside of the women's restroom. Right now, officials are saying he is alert and doing OK.
"It was approximately a 2-year-old diamondback rattlesnake," said Marana PD PIO Chris Warren. "Younger snakes are known to be more poisonous, because they can't control the amount of venom they release."
The mom was adamant she wanted to drive her son to an urgent care down the road. Officer Brewer escorted her there. Doctors then asked Marana PD to locate the snake so they knew how to best treat the bite.
Additional officers came to the park and found the snake dead. We're told one of the Marana Parks and Recreation crew members killed it, cutting off its head.
NW fire also responded, took the snake, and disposed of it.
Marana PD urges parents to educate their kids about snakes, the danger of them, and what to do if they spot one.
Copyright 2015 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.