Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center highlights Halloween hazards

Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center highlights Halloween hazards
Glow sticks such as these can be harmful if ingested. (Source: Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center)
Glow sticks such as these can be harmful if ingested. (Source: Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center)
Liquid candles used inside jack-o-lanterns. (Source: Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center).
Liquid candles used inside jack-o-lanterns. (Source: Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center).

By Lauren Koller, Tucson News Now intern 

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Halloween season is here and the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center wants to inform families about potential hazards.

Glow sticks, a fairly common toy, contain a low level toxic fluid. Should a child ingest this fluid or it come in contact with the eyes there is a possibility of irritation. Parents should keep an eye on this in case more serious symptoms should arise.

Families should also be alert to the risk of contaminated candy. Although cases of this happening are very minimal, treats can be tampered with and candy should be sifted through before being consumed.

If parents suspect candy has been altered, they should call police and report it. Examples of tampering can include: glass, razor blades, and other foreign objects, as well as edible marijuana.

Liquid candles are also something to be aware of, if ingested they can cause a potentially life-threatening condition. Related symptoms  include coughing, choking, wheezing and other respiratory difficulties.

To report any of these poisonings or learn more about preventing accidental poisonings call the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center at 800-222-1222.

Copyright 2015 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.