TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - A federal official has confirmed the $25 million lawsuit allegedly filed by Jared Lee Loughner, the man who carried out the mass shooting in Tucson in 2011, is a hoax.
Cosme Lopez of the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona, on Thursday said Loughner's attorney said he had nothing to do with the lawsuit and someone else had filed it using Loughner's identity.
"It's our understanding that the lawsuit was not filed or authorized by Mr. Loughner," the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona said in a news release. "Earlier today, Mr. Loughner's counsel wrote a letter to the Court confirming this understanding. Instead, it appears that a third party may have misappropriated Mr. Loughner's identity for purposes of filing the lawsuit. Federal criminal law prohibits such conduct."
The case was filed last week in federal court in Phoenix under Loughner's name. The Associated Press reported it is similar to a recent bogus lawsuit claiming to be from an Uber driver accused in a string of Kalamazoo, MI, killings.
Loughner pleaded guilty and is serving seven consecutive life sentences, plus 140 years, for the Jan. 8, 2011 shooting that killed six people and wounded 13, including former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
The bogus lawsuit named Giffords and the Bureau of Prisons and seeks $25 million for emotional and psychological distress.