Firefighters warning homeowners of hidden fire hazard

Published: Sep. 5, 2016 at 9:32 AM MST|Updated: Mar. 2, 2018 at 4:18 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The Tucson Fire Department is warning residents about a fire danger that may be hidden in their walls.

Over the last few weeks, firefighters have been called out to fires caused by lint and dust trapped in ceiling exhaust fans.

"We see it several times a year. When you are talking about hundreds of thousands of people, statistically that's not that much, but say that to the people that have had it happen to," said Capt. Barrett Baker with TFD.

Last week, a home on 11th Avenue near 22nd Street caught fire. The fire inside an exhaust fan was put out quickly by a neighbor.

In August, flames broke out in the same area at a home on Stella Road.

The homeowners are still picking the pieces up after the blaze almost destroyed their house.

Now TFD firefighters want homeowners to check their exhaust fans in the laundry room and bathrooms.

Before doing anything, first turn off the power to those rooms using the circuit breaker.

Then take off the cover. Grab a vacuum and start cleaning. This quick clean could save homeowners thousands of dollars and potentially their life.

Firefighters recommend homeowners use these fans as little as possible and clean them every six months.

Copyright 2016 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.