Victim in jojoba warehouse explosion recovering in Phoenix burn unit

Published: Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:47 PM MST|Updated: Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:19 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
In the hospital (Source: Nayely Olvera)
In the hospital (Source: Nayely Olvera)
Explosion at the Desert Whale Jojoba Company. (Source: Tucson Fire Department)
Explosion at the Desert Whale Jojoba Company. (Source: Tucson Fire Department)

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Nearly a week after a horrific industrial explosion on Tucson's south side, two of the employees continue to fight for their lives at the burn center in Phoenix. Isidro Olvera is one of them.

He was working last Wednesday night, Nov. 8 at the Desert Whale Jojoba Company near 22nd and Aviation Parkway when the explosion injured five employees leaving two of them, including Olvera, with critical burns.

His wife, Nayely, spoke to Tucson News Now outside the hospital on Tuesday giving us an update on his condition, "He's still in the critical stage but he's been stable throughout the past few days. He had surgery yesterday."

Nayely Olvera's nightmare started six days ago when she got the call her husband, who goes by Izzi,  was hurt in the explosion. All she can do now is hope and pray for the best, "I was in shock. I didn't know exactly what to expect because they told me he was in an explosion and he's hurt but I didn't know it was going to be this bad."

Nayely says the massive fireball burned more than half of Izzi's body, "(he's burned) on his abdomen, his chest, mostly his forearms, his hands, his face, back, and thighs."

Nayely was only able to talk Izzi immediately after he was rushed to UMC the night of the explosion. Within hours, he was flown to the burn center in Phoenix where he's been in a medically induced coma ever since, "they just want to keep him comfortable for now until he's able to wake up."

Although Izzi remains in critical condition, every passing day brings hope, and Nayely knows it's going to be a long road to recovery, "I think the worst has passed but it's just a waiting game and being patient right now with the process."

The couple has three children who are now staying with their grandparents during Isidro's hospital stay and recovery. A co-worker has set up a GoFundMe account to help with the mounting medical bills and expense. You can donate here if you'd like -

As far as what caused the explosion investigators are still trying to determine that.

MOBILE USERS: Download our app on your Apple and Android devices.

Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.