New photos, videos from Jan. 8 shooting released
The following story was initially published April 4, 2018.
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - More than seven years after a tragedy that rocked Arizona, the FBI has released thousands of photos, videos and documents about its investigation into the Jan. 8 shooting in Tucson.
Every Tucsonan knows exactly where they were when they got the news.
At 10:11 a.m. on Jan. 8, 2011, Jared Loughner opened fire in a crowded parking lot near the intersection of Ina and Oracle roads.
The gunman was targeting congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who was hosting an event to meet her constituents. Six people lost their lives and 13 others were severely wounded, including Giffords.
Learn more about all the victims HERE.
One of the more chilling items released by the FBI is a recorded call from Giffords, inviting the public to the event.
You can listen to the call HERE. The full text of the call is below.
"Congress on your Corner" this Saturday at the Safeway located at 7110 North Oracle. That is the Southeast Corner of Oracle and Ina. I will be there with my staff from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. to meet with you in person and answer any of your questions about what's going on in Congress. For more information, please call 881-3588. Again, this is Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and I hope to meet with you in person this Saturday."
The documents released by the FBI are available HERE.
Below is a timeline of the years leading up to the shooting.
- Jared Lee Loughner purchased a Glock Model 19, 9mm handgun with extended magazine and one box of ammo Winchester.
- 11:35 p.m. - Loughner drops off roll of 35mm film to be developed at Walgreens, 3800 W. Ina Road, Tucson
- 12:24 a.m. - Loughner makes a purchase at Circle K Store #3400, 4900 W. Ina Road
- 12:29 a.m. - Loughner checks into Motel 6, 4630 W. Ina Road
- 2:19 a.m. - Loughner returns to Walgreens at 3800 W. Ina Road, to retrieve developed photos and makes a purchase.
- 2:34 a.m. - Loughner makes purchase at Chevron Store near Ina and Oldfather.
- 4:12 a.m. - Loughner posted bulletin on Myspace. Titled post "Goodbye friends" and contained a photo from Walgreens on website.
- 6:12 a.m. - Loughner makes purchase at Walmart Store #2922 at Foothills mall, 7635 N La Cholla Blvd.
- 6:21 a.m. - Loughner makes purchase at Circle K Store #08510 at 3712 W. Cortaro Farms Raod
- 7:04 a.m. - Walmart Store #2922 at Foothills mall, 7635 N La Cholla Blvd. Loughner attempted to purchase ammunition at Walmart.
- 7:27 a.m. - Loughner makes purchase for ammunition and a diaper bag (backpack style) at Super Walmart, 8280 N. Cortaro Road,.
- 7:30 a.m. - AZ Game & Fish Department officer stops Loughner for running a red light at Cortaro Rd. and I-10.
- 7:31 a.m. - 9:40 a.m. - Loughner returned home, removed a black bag from the vehicle. His father confronted him and he fled on foot carrying the black bag.
- 9:41 a.m. - Cab driver picks up Loughner from Circle K at 3712 W. Cortaro Farms Road and drives him to Safeway, 7100 N. Oracle Road, Tucson, AZ.
- 9:54 a.m. - Cab driver and Loughner enter Safeway to get change for fare.
- 10:10 a.m. - Loughner opens fire. Nineteen people wounded: 6 fatalities, 13 injured.
- 10:11 a.m. - Pima County Sheriff's Department receives 911 call of shooting at Safeway, 7100 N. Oracle Road.
- 10:14 a.m. - Northwest Fire dispatched Full Alarm medical crew to shooting at Safeway, 7100 N. Oracle Road.
- 10:15 a.m. - Deputy Audetat is first deputy on scene and detains suspect.
- 10:16 a.m. - Deputy Patino second on scene at Safeway, 7100 N. Oracle Road, and secures weapon.
- 10:19 a.m. - NWFD crews/ EMS personnel begin arriving on scene.
- 10:23 a.m. - NWFD cleared to move in and begin treating patients on scene at Safeway, 7100 N. Oracle Road.
- 10:26 a.m. - NWFD calls 2nd Alarm to scene (3 additional engines, more ambulances and command unit).
- 10:41 a.m. - Southwest Ambulance, Paramedic 831 transported Congresswoman Giffords to UMC.
- 10:45 a.m. - Medical helicopters arrive at scene.
- 10:48 a.m. - First patients arrive at UMC.
- 10:50 a.m. - Suspect transported to Foothills Substation, 7300 N. Shannon Road.
- 6:59 p.m. - Warrant served at Loughner's parents' residence. 7700 block N. Soledad Ave.
Copyright 2019 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.