TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - A grease fire that started in the kitchen of a midtown Tucson apartment has left two people and a dog without a home.
According to Captain Andy Skaggs of the Tucson Fire Department, they got multiple 911 calls reporting smoke coming from inside the apartment in the 4300 block of E. Pima Street.
The first Tucson Fire Department engine on scene at 7:14 p.m. reported smoke coming from a window Sunday night, April 15. The man, woman, and dog inside were able to escape.
More units arrived to help control the fire by around 7:23 p.m.
Skaggs said there were no injuries to firefighters and one of the people inside was evaluated on scene by paramedics but was not taken to the hospital.
Skaggs said the grease fire started because the people inside left their cooking unattended.
Cooking fires continue to be too common of a cause for fires," he said. "These fires are preventable. Stay safe Tucson and keep an eye on your cooking."
The man, woman, and dog are being helped by the Red Cross. Firefighters have not yet determined the cost of the damage.