UPDATE: Knife-wielding man fatally shot in Tucson identified

UPDATE: Knife-wielding man fatally shot in Tucson identified
The Tucson Police Department said a knife-wielding man was fatally shot by an officer Tuesday afternoon. (Source: Google Maps)
The Tucson Police Department said a knife-wielding man was fatally shot by an officer Tuesday afternoon. (Source: Google Maps)

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - A police officer fatally shot a knife-wielding man in midtown Tucson Tuesday afternoon, city police said.

Sgt. Pete Dugan, a Tucson Police Department spokesman, said 37-year-old Charles Hutchison died Tuesday following the shooting around 1 p.m. near the intersection of Grant and Alvernon.

Dugan said Raul Navarro, a 19-year-veteran of the TPD, fired the fatal shots.

According to the TPD and several witnesses, Hutchison was trying to stop cars, yelling at drivers and threatening to stab people before he was shot.

Dugan said as Navarro and another officer approached the Hutchison, he began walking toward the Circle K on Alvernon.

Officers told Hutchison to drop the knife but he refused and continued walking towards the store, according to Dugan.

"One officer discharged a Taser at the suspect," Dugan said. "(The) second officer then discharged his firearm, striking the suspect multiple times."

Several people were inside the store at the time of the shooting.

Tucson News Now spoke to one of those people.

"I heard the officer yell 'freeze!,'" said Gene Renfro. "I looked over and saw the other officer hit him with a Taser. Evidently, he dropped his knife and went down and then got back up. The other officer took a step back and yelled 'freeze' again. I guess the guy evidently kept going because they fired two shots."

Another witness said she recorded video of the incident and heard between eight to 10 shots.

Dugan said after getting shot, Hutchison ran through the parking lot before he was tackled by one of the officers.

"I just saw two guys running and I am thinking that they are just stealing beer out of the store because it's known for robberies and then I heard the shots," said Shamika High. "I saw the guy fall and the other guy take off running this way."

The incident will be investigated by several different departments within the TPD, which is normal for any officer-involved shooting.

Portions of Grant and Alvernon were closed due to the shooting, but all were reopened quickly.

The TPD said anyone with information about the incident should call 88-CRIME.

It was the fourth officer-involved shooting in Tucson in little more than a month.

On Saturday, April 28, a man was shot following a domestic incident at a midtown apartment complex.

The suspect was struck multiple times and transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries.

On Tuesday, April 10, a suspect allegedly took a hostage during an armed robbery attempt on the north side of town.

The TPD said 39-year-old Mark Powell pulled a firearm on officers and was fatally shot.

On Wednesday, April 4, Eyan Gastelum was shot by an officer following a domestic disturbance at a home in the 1300 block of North Falcon Ridge Drive.

The TPD said Gastelum and his father got into an argument and officers found the two men struggling over a handgun.

As officers were asking the men to drop the weapon, it went off. An officer then shot Gastelum, who was later arrested after being released from a hospital.

Copyright 2018 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.