TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The Golden Rattler is going to New Mexico for the first time ever.
Albuquerque Sol FC played to a 3-3 draw Saturday night with FC Tucson at St. Pius X High School in Albuquerque.
Angel Rey Heredia scored twice for FC Tucson. Adeola Oke had the other goal.
Each side won once in the four-match series. There were two draws.
The Sol take the Southwestern Showdown by way of total goals scored (aggregate) 10-9.
FC Tucson beat the Sol 2-1 in the season-opener but fell 4-2 in the second meeting of the season.
The victory for Albuquerque was just the second time in the history of the series that they had won a match.
- Sat. May 12 FC Tucson 2, Albuquerque Sol FC 1
- Fri. June 15 Albuquerque Sol FC 4, FC Tucson 2
- Tue. July 3 Albuquerque Sol FC 2, FC Tucson 2
- Sat. July 7 FC Tucson 3, Albuquerque Sol FC 3
The Boys in Black still lead the all-time series 10-2-4 but the the draw in Albuquerque dealt a serious blow to FC Tucson's run for a fifth straight division title. The side trails the Colorado Rapids U23 by nine points with just three matches remaining.
All three of those matches are on the road continuing with Colorado Rapids U23 on Wednesday night.
- (27) Colorado Rapids U23 (8-1-3)
- (17) FC Tucson (5-3-3)
- (15) Albuquerque Sol FC (4-5-4)
- (12) Colorado Pride Switchbacks U23 (3-5-3)
- (9) Ogden City SC (2-8-3)
FC Tucson is in danger of not making the post-season for the first time since 2013. They must finish as the top second place team in the Western Conference to earn a Wild Card spot.
Right now FC Tucson is in third place in the race for that Wild Card spot.
Western Conference Wild Card
- (20) Santa Cruz Breakers FC (6-5-2, 19G) (Southwest Division)
- (18) Sounders FC U23 (5-4-3, 23G) (Northwest Division)
- (18) FC Tucson (5-3-3, 22G) (Mountain Division)