TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Even on a hot day, the fenced-in dog run at the Tucson House has at least one tenant.
"I take him out at least a good, four times a day outside," said Crystal Cervantes.
Crystal Cervantes lives at the Tucson House, the public-housing high rise on Oracle Road. She said the small, fenced-in area on the property is the only place she takes her two dogs out for a walk, that was until this week.
"He didn't even make it in the house, barely off the elevator, he just started throwing up, blood," said Cervantes.
Cervantes said her dog, Hercules, became sluggish after going out late Wednesday night. An invoice from the ABC Pet Care Clinic stated the case was "referred out, due to possible poisoning."
Earlier this month, another tenant said her dog, Sophie, died after a walk in front of the midtown housing unit.
"Oh my god, they are like children to us," said Cervantes. "It still scares me now, I don't even want to take him outside."
According to the city of Tucson, who owns the property, they had five other cases involving Tucson House tenants' pets roughly six months ago. Two other dogs were injured and three others died from alleged poisoning.
Residential Property Manager, Selene Tibbitts, told Tucson News Now the animals affected were taken on walks around the property, specifically on Oracle Road. But Tibbitts said none of the reported incidents happened on the property, specifically, and likely occurred nearby off site.
The cause of those deaths was never confirmed. In an emailed statement to Tucson News Now, Tibbitts said, "A necropsy was requested by a couple of the dog owners to PACC (Pima Animal Care Center) but no results were ever shared if the tests were taken as they are costly."
Cervantes said she reported the incident to management. Tucson News Now reached out to Tibbitts on the specific incident, but we have not heard back.
"It's going to hurt if anything he's to, if he's to pass," Cervantes said.